Posted November 01, 2019 09:00:03The Australian government has warned there’s a risk of measles infections in Sydney and Melbourne, as a measles vaccine is being phased out.
Key points:A coronavirus vaccination has been phased out in Australia and only two people are receiving a new one, Health Minister Jonathan Coleman said on ThursdayThe vaccine was supposed to have gone on sale by the end of this yearA coronivirus vaccine has been stopped in Australia because of the coronaviruses spread.
The move has raised concerns about how much of Australia’s vaccination pool is still being fully vaccinated.
Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said he was working to make sure every Australian could be vaccinated.
“We need to make the vaccine available, we have to make it available, but we also need to get this vaccine out to every Australian and we will do that,” Mr Turnbull said.
“And we’ll do that in the coming weeks.”
The Australian Government’s vaccination schedule has been halted in all state and territory governments and only one person is getting a new vaccine.
The vaccination schedule was set to start on November 1, 2019.
The vaccine has also been withdrawn in Queensland, Western Australia and Victoria.
Health Minister Jonathan Simpson said on Friday that the decision was a precautionary measure.
“I’m very concerned about the outbreak and we need to take every precautionary action to try and protect the public,” he said.
Mr Simpson said the Australian Government had been working hard to get the vaccine into people’s hands.
“It’s a very difficult decision but we want to make absolutely sure that people have the opportunity to get it in their hands and if we’re successful that we will make sure that everyone gets that vaccine,” he told ABC Radio on Thursday.
“So I’m very disappointed about that, very disappointed.”
He said he expected the vaccination program would resume next week.
“My priority is to get people vaccinated and then the plan is for it to go on sale in November, but the plan for November 1 is to continue to vaccinate everyone,” he added.
The Australian National Health and Medical Research Council said on Saturday the vaccine would be available by the middle of next week for people aged 14 and older in NSW and Queensland.
It said more than 20 million people had received a new vaccination shot in NSW, and nearly 30 million had received an injection in Queensland.
The council said a total of 2.6 million people in Queensland had received the vaccine, while another 2.3 million people were in NSW.
Topics:vaccines-and-immunity,health,federal—state-issues,feds,government-and_politics,sydney-2000,melbourne-3000,brisbane-4000More stories from New South Wales